Monday, February 15, 2010

Best Foot Forward

Life is surely an interesting experience. One day can seem like the best day of your life, while the next can seem like the you are descending into the grave. My life is no different. I'm am not, however, here to rejoice over the good days and complain about the events of the bad ones. Life is too short to treasure the good half, trying to forget all of those days that didn't go as planned. From the earliest memory you can conjure up to the latest event that has taken place in your life, remember this: you only have one chance at this. Learn from your mistakes, and cherish your good memories. Only then can you transition into the rest of the life God has for you.

This comes to mind all too frequently lately.

Somehow I forget that the sheltered life I have lived with my parents--along with all of its mistakes and memories--is about to come to an abrupt close. I say "sheltered" with complete love for my parents, and gratitude that they raised me the way they did. I could not have asked God for a better childhood than I have been blessed with. I am having a little trouble with the thought of giving it up in four months.

I love my life. I love my family. I love my church. I love my school. I love the crowd of hands that rush to pick me up when I fall. I love the undying love that is shown to me no matter what I do. It is all right here. I live surrounded in it. I never want to give it up. While I know that I can never escape that love, the course of life, getting older, and going out on my own drags me ever further from the range of its immediate effects. Yet life goes on, uninterrupted by the longings of yet another young man who is daunted by the prospect of leaving the only shelter he has ever known. Though I understand that I can never truly leave that shelter, I am about to willingly walk away from the crowd of hand that pick me up when I fall. I'll have myself and God. One would think that God's presence would eliminate all fear of the unknown. It doesn't. It offers all the necessary comfort, but nothing can remove that little twinge of fear. I know what I want, I simply need to reach out and grab it when the time is right. That time has almost come, and I don't feel ready. I suppose, though, I would never truly feel ready.

I want the military. I know I will love it, but I just get a little uneasy with the time frame it gives me between now and never living in the comfort of my father's home again. My goal is to sign before graduation in three months. Once signed, I could leave for basic training as early as fourteen days after graduation. Other people get to go to college. Other people get the comfort of a family still supporting them physically, be it in little ways. I get a plane ticket out of state, and a life-consuming career starting shortly after the twelve week long basic training course. I am looking forward to it immensely. I want to fight for my country. I guess it is just initially putting my best foot forward that is so hard.

Every young ship captain is uneasy as he puts his hands to the helm and gazes out into that red sunrise, knowing all too well that he will shortly be conquering tumultuous, wind-driven waves. He has done it many times before, but this time is different. This time he does not have his steady, experienced captain guiding his hand through the waves that seek to pull him under. This time he is the captain. This time he has to decide the best way to weather the storm. I have spent my life being trained at the helm by various captains. Each has taught me how to navigate the path I am to follow, and how to find it again should I lose it. They have faithfully done their part, now it is time for me to do mine. Now I have to show them that their work was not in vain, and that I am ready to handle the storms of life myself.

The time is right. The morning sky looms an ominous red in the distance. I plant my feet firmly on the deck, and grasp the helm tightly with both hands. I stare off into the sunrise, listening to the water lap rhythmically on the hull of my ship, christened the Christian Worldview. Steeling myself for the fight to come, I pray for the presence of mind to guide myself through the coming storm, and the wisdom to remember that every wave was specially designed by God to train me to be the man He wants me to be. Come, then, what may. Neither this, nor any other tempest to come can change my destination. I leave the hedge of thorns set for my protection by my loving parents, and set my sights on the gates of heaven. God has promised to guide me through the many obstacles that lie between; I have nothing to fear.

"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness." --Lamentations 3:22-23

3 comments:

  1. Very good post. I needed to read this. I felt much the same way when I moved out, only I didn't have such a good attitude as you. I felt sorry for myself and I was so attached to my old friends, I didn't really even try to get over it. I'm still not over it. You gave me a great deal to think about. Anyway, it's very sad that you are joining the military but I am glad you know what you want and have the courage to pursue it. I'll pray hard for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly excellent. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a deep post Adam. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete